The Birth Order Book: Why You Are the Way You Are 
He didn't have much more insight beyond the ideas that first borns are either stern perfectionists or overly eager to please, middle children are negotiators, and the baby of the family is a charming iconoclast. He did say that the birth order can start over with large gaps between children, which was interesting. But for evidence, he relies mostly on his own childhood and children, peppering in some examples from his practice, conversations he's had with people, Bible stories, and a few statistics.
He also runs out of material about 2/3 of the way through, and starts talking about how parents should discipline their children. Useful, perhaps, but not what was on the tin. And we get a lot of autobiographical information (we learn he didn't have a vasectomy after his youngest son was born). Plus, there's a strong pro-Christian bias, which made some of the material difficult to relate to.
Overall, it's got some fun concepts that might entertain you for an afternoon. Like a horoscope, you can look for the traits that match the profile Leman provides, ignoring the rest, and marvel at his uncanny accuracy.
As I started reading this book, I thought the concept was so interesting! That is, your personality is somewhat predetermined by whether you are an only child, first-born, middle-born, or the baby. Some of it makes sense, but then he starts explaining all these "exceptions" and you start to realize he's just fooling himself to think that all first-borns are perfectionists and babies are just social butterflies. There are just too many exceptions to really believe in any of this.
This was the most enjoyable, most SPOT ON psycology book I've read so far. Leman does a terrific job of writing so that the concepts he presents are comprehensive, yet intellegent; without the pretention that so irritates me about many psychologists.I was amazed at how much I could fit myself, my siblings, my parents, my husband and his family and my kids into his explainations of how birth order effect our personalities. And I love that he is not so absolute about his definitions either. They

This book was so interesting, not only in regard to myself but also my children and siblings. I actually read it as research for a novel I'm writing (about sisters), but I enjoyed it a lot. Nice surprise.
Interesting observations on how birth order affects people throughout their lives from the lens of a clinical psychologist. While I think the conclusions are a bit too broad to make assumptions about particular people (although I suppose I would have the opposite critique were Leman to assert hard and fast rules), it's always interesting to learn about how others think.What stuck out to me most about the book is the effect of parenting and "nurture" on a young child. In essence, all of Leman's
Fascinating look at families and birth order and how one influences the other. Really helped me see my twins in a different, more realistic light (even though the time spent on multiple births was about a paragraph). Also helped me figure out some things about myself! Definitely had some ah-ha moments! Would recommend it to anyone.
Very interesting. This book surprised me. Lots of good information and I was not expecting to much.
Kevin Leman
Paperback | Pages: 362 pages Rating: 3.78 | 5552 Users | 686 Reviews

Identify Books As The Birth Order Book: Why You Are the Way You Are
| Original Title: | The Birth Order Book: Why You Are the Way You Are |
| ISBN: | 080075977X (ISBN13: 9780800759773) |
| Edition Language: | English |
Description Toward Books The Birth Order Book: Why You Are the Way You Are
I got this book on a recommendation from a friend and I'm sorry to say I was quite disappointed in it (Sorry, Kelly!). Leman's findings are vague stereotypes, backed up by anecdotal evidence mostly from his own family.He didn't have much more insight beyond the ideas that first borns are either stern perfectionists or overly eager to please, middle children are negotiators, and the baby of the family is a charming iconoclast. He did say that the birth order can start over with large gaps between children, which was interesting. But for evidence, he relies mostly on his own childhood and children, peppering in some examples from his practice, conversations he's had with people, Bible stories, and a few statistics.
He also runs out of material about 2/3 of the way through, and starts talking about how parents should discipline their children. Useful, perhaps, but not what was on the tin. And we get a lot of autobiographical information (we learn he didn't have a vasectomy after his youngest son was born). Plus, there's a strong pro-Christian bias, which made some of the material difficult to relate to.
Overall, it's got some fun concepts that might entertain you for an afternoon. Like a horoscope, you can look for the traits that match the profile Leman provides, ignoring the rest, and marvel at his uncanny accuracy.
List About Books The Birth Order Book: Why You Are the Way You Are
| Title | : | The Birth Order Book: Why You Are the Way You Are |
| Author | : | Kevin Leman |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | First Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 362 pages |
| Published | : | September 1st 2004 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published January 1st 1984) |
| Categories | : | Nonfiction. Psychology. Parenting. Self Help. Relationships. Family. Christian |
Rating About Books The Birth Order Book: Why You Are the Way You Are
Ratings: 3.78 From 5552 Users | 686 ReviewsArticle About Books The Birth Order Book: Why You Are the Way You Are
I got this book on a recommendation from a friend and I'm sorry to say I was quite disappointed in it (Sorry, Kelly!). Leman's findings are vague stereotypes, backed up by anecdotal evidence mostly from his own family. He didn't have much more insight beyond the ideas that first borns are either stern perfectionists or overly eager to please, middle children are negotiators, and the baby of the family is a charming iconoclast. He did say that the birth order can start over with large gapsAs I started reading this book, I thought the concept was so interesting! That is, your personality is somewhat predetermined by whether you are an only child, first-born, middle-born, or the baby. Some of it makes sense, but then he starts explaining all these "exceptions" and you start to realize he's just fooling himself to think that all first-borns are perfectionists and babies are just social butterflies. There are just too many exceptions to really believe in any of this.
This was the most enjoyable, most SPOT ON psycology book I've read so far. Leman does a terrific job of writing so that the concepts he presents are comprehensive, yet intellegent; without the pretention that so irritates me about many psychologists.I was amazed at how much I could fit myself, my siblings, my parents, my husband and his family and my kids into his explainations of how birth order effect our personalities. And I love that he is not so absolute about his definitions either. They

This book was so interesting, not only in regard to myself but also my children and siblings. I actually read it as research for a novel I'm writing (about sisters), but I enjoyed it a lot. Nice surprise.
Interesting observations on how birth order affects people throughout their lives from the lens of a clinical psychologist. While I think the conclusions are a bit too broad to make assumptions about particular people (although I suppose I would have the opposite critique were Leman to assert hard and fast rules), it's always interesting to learn about how others think.What stuck out to me most about the book is the effect of parenting and "nurture" on a young child. In essence, all of Leman's
Fascinating look at families and birth order and how one influences the other. Really helped me see my twins in a different, more realistic light (even though the time spent on multiple births was about a paragraph). Also helped me figure out some things about myself! Definitely had some ah-ha moments! Would recommend it to anyone.
Very interesting. This book surprised me. Lots of good information and I was not expecting to much.


0 Comments:
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.