Details Books To The Fisherman's Lady
| Original Title: | Malcolm |
| ISBN: | 0871231972 (ISBN13: 9780871231970) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Characters: | Malcolm MacPhail |
| Setting: | Scotland |
George MacDonald
Paperback | Pages: 278 pages Rating: 4.22 | 1452 Users | 78 Reviews
Interpretation In Favor Of Books The Fisherman's Lady
I have wanted to return to these MacDonald novels for years now and finally read this one again. It is the story of Malcolm. How does it hold up? At first I didn’t think I was going to like it again at all. I did not enjoy the old piper’s ravings and I remembered being endeared to him before. In the end I found myself anxious to pick up The Marquis Secret which is a sequel to this one. These novels are rambling diversions with forays of great depth. I especially loved the “witnessing” conversation between Mr. Graham and the old Marquis.
Present Containing Books The Fisherman's Lady
| Title | : | The Fisherman's Lady |
| Author | : | George MacDonald |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Phillips Redaction |
| Pages | : | Pages: 278 pages |
| Published | : | 1991 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1875) |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Christian Fiction. Historical. Historical Fiction. Classics. Christian |
Rating Containing Books The Fisherman's Lady
Ratings: 4.22 From 1452 Users | 78 ReviewsAssessment Containing Books The Fisherman's Lady
I reviewed this book initially over at its abridgment, The Fisherman's Lady.After reading the sequel, "The Marquis of Lossie," in its unabridged glory and finding it excellent, I decided to re-read "Malcolm," and was glad I did. I happily increase my stars to five. In comparison to "Marquis," "Malcolm" does contain a great deal more Scots dialect. This is indeed hard to read. I've become accustomed to using the built-in dictionary feature in my Nook to define unusual words, and it obviouslyI read this a number of years ago, before I discovered Project Gutenburg. Yes, it's edited, and I hate editing, but Phillips does a good job. If you don't want the dialect, this is a great book to read. The unedited version is now on my to-read list, since I finally found a reprinted hardback copy of the original version. After I read the edited copies, I have gone back through each of his books slowly, and very few of Phillips's editings took out enough to make the story unrecognizable, as some
George MacDonald is my all-time-favorite author. George MacDonald was a prolific writer of fiction, adult and children's fantasies, realism, allegory, devotions, essays, poetry, and sermons. I quote from Wikipedia here: George MacDonald (10 December 1824 18 September 1905) was a Scottish author, poet, and Christian minister.Known particularly for his poignant fairy tales and fantasy novels, George MacDonald inspired many authors, such as W. H. Auden, J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, E. Nesbit and

It was a bit of a struggle to get through this book since I found the plot somewhat slow. However, I did enjoy the story since MacDonald is a good writer. There is a mystery on whom Molcolm actually is and the village is full of gossip and secrets. The best part is that a man gets saved on his deathbed and the truth is revealed. I hope the sequel will bring more clarity to the story and come to a satisfying conclusion.
After reading several of MacDonald's ideological fantasies, my wife and I enjoyed the relative realism of this sweet-spirited Victorian romance. "Malcom" has a more memorable storyline, characters and dialogue (although the Scotch dialect is formidable) than, say, "Lilith," which is more allegorically-driven. But what resonates strongest in all of this godfather of spiritual fiction's novels is the theme of grace. Like his Creator, MacDonald loves his characters, despite their flaws. To read
The title and cover art make this look like a trashy romance, don't they? And it is a romance, but in that 19th-century sense in that the whole story is Gothic and romantic. I wanted to read George MacDonald because I've liked C.S. Lewis's writing and he mentions MacDonald all the time. I confess I don't completely get his admiration, but that could be because I don't understand the literary context in which MacDonald wrote. It was still an entertaining read -- enough for me to try to find the
"The Fisherman's Lady" is a "retelling for modern readers" of MacDonald's romance originally entitled "Malcolm." As a rule, I avoid abridgments. My husband explains it thusly: "If the author is considered a master, and the 'reteller' is not, what business does he have retelling it?" What business indeed? And I consider myself a reasonably educated, patient reader: I have read quite a bit of unmodified MacDonald without too much difficulty. I know what "ken" means, I know what "fash" means, and


0 Comments:
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.